In 1997, before the visit of the pope to Rio de Janeiro, Captain Nascimento from BOPE (Special Police Operations Battalion) is assigned to eliminate the risks of the drug dealers in a dangerous slum nearby where the pope intends to be lodged.
Elite Squad (2007) is a Brazilian crime thriller film directed by José Padilha and starring Wagner Moura, André Ramiro, and Caio Junqueira. The film follows the BOPE (Batalhão de Operações Policiais Especiais), a special forces unit of the Rio de Janeiro Military Police, as they fight against drug traffickers in the city’s slums.
The film has been praised for its realistic portrayal of violence and crime in Rio de Janeiro, its strong performances, and its suspenseful plot. It has also been compared to other crime thrillers such as City of God and The Wire.
- Elite Squad is a brutal and realistic portrayal of the drug war in Rio de Janeiro.
- The film is not afraid to show the violence and bloodshed that is a part of everyday life in the city’s slums.
- The performances are all top-notch, with Wagner Moura giving a particularly memorable turn as Captain Nascimento.
- The film is suspenseful and well-paced, with some genuinely shocking moments.
- Elite Squad is a must-see for fans of crime thrillers and anyone who wants to learn more about the drug war in Brazil.